A1 Telekom Austria Group provides five-star compliance training for 10,000 users
A1 Telekom Austria Group(A1) is a telecommunications company and provider of a range of fixed-line, broadband Internet, multimedia services, data, and IT solutions, wholesale as well as mobile payment solutions.
Its headquarters are in Vienna. The company operates subsidiaries in eight European countries: Austria, Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Liechtenstein, North Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia.
For their customers, A1 represents a modern and agile organization. Clearly, their learning processes had to be perceived just as positively by their employees as their brand is by their customers. A1 was searching for a flexible, complete learning management system, which can suit its international presence and support the professional development of its employees in Europe.
As you can guess, A1 already used a learning management system and there was a clear vision of how the new system should be.
- Implement and migrate all existing learning contents
- Implement and migrate all existing users from the previous LMS and design a modern, user-centric surface which learners enjoy to use
- Flexible multi-tenancy structure for A1 Telekom Austria Group and all subsidiaries
- On-demand training for the employees
- Flexible dashboards for the learners
- Course rating system
There have been a lot of challenges through the development phase of the new A1 e-learning campus. LearnChamp had the pleasure to work with a strong team from all subsidiaries of A1 and that was key to the success of the project. They shared a vision and a goal and managed those together as a team.
First, A1 started with the importation of user data. As you can guess, the sources were different for each country. LearnChamp had to develop a way to check the data for consistency and sync it on a daily basis. Using the possibilities of the HR-Import of Totara Learn and developing a synchronization and quality check plugin for each source before delivering this data to Totara, giving A1 the most of Totara’s powerful user management features.
In regards to the design of the portal, LearnChamp focused on an intuitive user experience. A major contributor to a great UX was the implementation of SSO for all users, including external partners and internal employees. Moreover, emphasis was put on the freedom to learn, allowing learners to decide when and where to learn by leveraging the responsive design of Totara Learn to its fullest.
But SSO and a great responsive design weren’t the only features that were implemented. Users are able to choose their interests when first logging into the system. They can always change those interests later on, if needed. This feature also provides Totara with much needed data for a strong, custom-developed recommendation engine. Based on course ratings (using best practices like 5-star ratings for each course), interests, visited and completed courses, e-Campus provides suggestions for the continuous professional development of learners. Users can even filter through the course catalog for courses according to their course ratings, if they need more than the suggested courses.
Totara, when set up correctly, delivers high quality data through reports and web services. A1 uses this feature to deliver this data through the built-in REST web service and group-wide gamification engines in order to give the best user experience there.
- Freedom to save: Scalable, modern learning management system for all seven countries of the A1 group.
- Compliance training at scale with up to 10,000 users taking their compliance exams at the same time.
- Freedom to innovate: Continuous innovation possibilities for each country through an expandable multi-tenancy setup with Totara Learn
- Freedom to learn: More than 1,000 courses and offers, targeted to different audiences and three-quarters rated 5 stars by employees.
- Freedom of choice: Recommendation engine with more than 400 suggestions being made each minute according to their preferences, position, learning history.
“We changed our LMS to Totara because of the advantage of open source. We need individual pages to get a better user experience. A big point for us was the flexibility of the system especially in realizing our idea of interest-based recommendations. We will use more self-motivated learning ‘gadgets’ in Totara like badges and rankings. We know the kind we are looking for are not in the core Totara product, but as an open source tool, it is possible to make our ideas a reality.”