Mercury Engineering reduced the administrative overhead for its certification process
Mercury Engineering is a leading international player in the engineering industry. The company has a large workforce in over 10 countries delivering projects in across industry sectors and specialising in Hyper scale & Enterprise data centres, Healthcare, Life sciences and semi-conductor fabrication, Fire protection and Building services.
Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Mercury delivers complex engineering projects across Europe. The company’s greatest asset is its people, and an overriding goal of the business is to provide a safe working environment for their entire workforce.
Mercury have been using e-learning to support regulatory environmental and health and safety (EHS) practices for a number of years. With so many key skills and certifications involved in the complex engineering projects they deliver, the overhead in ensuring all workers are adequately trained required a new solution.
Mercury engaged Enovation in April 2016 to replace their existing e-learning system with a robustly managed and feature rich e-learning platform capable of optimising the certifications management process and to grow with the business – Totara Learn. The goals of the implementation for the business were to enable the:
Pro-active management of the certifications process so that:
- Employees stay certified for the skills they require to perform their role
- EHS officers are notified of upcoming certification expiries and can monitor overall compliance with regulatory requirement
Wider adoption of online training practice in the business to:
- Reduce the costs of attended training and the associated administration
- Increase accessibility to the workforce
- Aid the business to respond faster in addressing upskilling requirements
Creation of a single system of record for all training conducted in and for the business
In September 2016 the new learning platform was piloted on a small project group before final review and rollout to all project groups in the business. Important operational and usability elements of the solution include:
- Immediate view of required learning for employees on log in
- Certifications completed, due and overdue are highlighted
- All records of training are available for reference by workers and management
- Course activities are presented in an easy-to-use layout which prompts users to complete the training material and assessment in sequence and before they can retrieve their certificate
Administrators and managers can run course completion reports across groups, departments and divisions:
- Extensive report filtering, and customisations options are supported
Enovation’s implementation of Totara Learn has met all of Mercury’s goals for the solution and more. The administration overhead involved in managing the certifications process has been significantly reduced while still ensuring adherence to all regulatory compliance training requirements. Mercury also see how, with further modification to internal processes, the administration effort can be reduced to the absolute minimum while still maintaining complianc.
More recently with the rapid growth in the business Mercury have chosen to integrate key business systems with their Totara Learn implementation – in itself an endorsement of what the solution is providing.
“We are extremely happy with Enovation’s professionalism in their implementation and extensive support of Totara Learn for Mercury. Our business is currently undergoing significant growth and we are very pleased to be working with the experienced team at Enovation in delivering our platform and content solution across Europe and into 13 languages.” – Michael O’Connor, QEHS Manager at Mercury Engineering